3.4.8 Noncredit to Credit

The institution awards academic credit for course work taken on a noncredit basis only when there is documentation that the noncredit course work is equivalent to a designated credit experience.

Judgment of Compliance

PVAMU SACS Accreditation - Judgement Compliance

Narrative of Compliance

Prairie View A&M University does not award academic credit for non-credit courses unless students present proof of credit equivalency. As the Undergraduate Catalog states regarding transfer credits, "Duplicate, developmental, remedial, and study skills courses are not transferable credits." Furthermore, "No credit is allowed for work experience or work completed at non accredited institutions except by AP or CLEP examination. If a transfer course has been graded on a pass/fail basis, the college/university at which the course was taken must provide written documentation to the Registrar that the course was passed at a grade level equivalent of 'A', 'B', or 'C' " [1].

While students can count developmental coursework toward full-time status for financial aid purposes, no academic credit towards graduation is granted for pre-college developmental education courses at Prairie View A&M University. Students who audit courses submit no assignments and receive no academic credit [2] [3]. In addition, courses that are graded on an "S" (Satisfactory) and "U" (Unsatisfactory) basis carry a grade value of zero [4]. For graduate students, "A grade of 'S' may be given during the doctoral dissertation process; however, prior to submission of the final dissertation document the conventional grading system must be used. A grade of 'S' may not be given as a final grade for doctoral candidates" [5].

Supporting Documentation and Links

Comprehensive Standards 3.4.8

© 2009 Prairie View A&M University