3.6.3 Institutional Credits for a Degree

The majority of credits toward a graduate or a post-baccalaureate professional degree are earned through instruction offered by the institution awarding the degree. In the case of graduate and postbaccalaureate professional degree programs offered through joint, cooperative, or consortial arrangements, the student earns a majority of credits through instruction offered by the participating institutions.

Judgment of Compliance

PVAMU SACS Accreditation - Judgement Compliance

Narrative of Compliance

Prairie View A&M University offers both master’s and doctoral degrees [1]. The Graduate Catalog describes the credit hours required for each degree, including thesis and dissertation hours [2]. The Graduate School requires that the majority of credits used toward a graduate degree be earned through instruction offered by the University [3]. The Catalog notes that “Graduate credit earned at another accredited institution, not exceeding six (6) semester hours, may be transferred and applied toward the master’s or the doctorate degree at Prairie View A&M University. Only courses with the grade of "B" or better may be transferred" [3]. An official transcript denoting the transfer course(s), year, and grade received must be on file in the Office of the Registrar before acceptance of transfer credit is official. The University does not consider credits from other institutions to meet requirements for a graduate degree unless the institution offering the courses allows these credits to be applied toward the requirements of an advanced degree on its own campus. As noted in the catalog, no transfer course work can be considered that is more than six years old at the time the degree is awarded [3]. Students may petition for transfer of credit by submitting the required documents through appropriate review and approval levels. The Approval of Transfer Credits form [4] must be accompanied by an official transcript and course description(s) with course numbering system where the credit was earned. These documents must be reviewed and approved by the student’s graduate advisor, department head, and dean before being submitted to the graduate dean for final review and approval.

Prairie View A&M University does not offer any graduate degree programs through joint, cooperative, or consortia arrangements.

Supporting Documentation and Links

Comprehensive Standards 3.6.3

© 2009 Prairie View A&M University